Saturday, July 22, 2017

I'm not a coffee adict. Probably.



Not REALLY an addict.  I mean.... I wouldn't rob a store or gut a politician to get my next cup.  I might count sofa change though.

Mornings I have coffee, I grind my roasted beans fresh, and brew in an old fashioned percolator.  I know.... there's as many opinions about coffee as there are for beer.  With good reason too.  The flavor range is wide, as are the brew methods.

This morning's grind, my old standby  Eight 'O Clock brand.  This is the coffee of my youth, and I warmly recall mom having this ground right at the grocery counter.  The smell was amazing, and my love for coffee was sealed even then.

Also this morning, a dash of Bourbon Cream is being added.  This concoction was discovered on a recent trip to Kentucky and a visit to the Boone County Distillery.

Good stuff indeed.

"Back in the late 1800s, when Boone County was booming with distillers, blacksmiths, lumbermen and farmers, it took teamwork to meet the needs of the growing community. Men, women and children worked together to accomplish a long day’s work, with immense satisfaction found in the accomplishments. 

That’s how communities are built.

Lewis Loder’s tavern was such a place. Loder, a bookkeeper, ran the White Hall Tavern at Tanner and Front Streets in Petersburg, KY. He proudly built his community one glass at a time. One of his favorite treats was serving shots of bourbon over rich ice cream, and as the sun set on the Ohio River his hard-working patrons enjoyed a sweet reward for their honest day’s work.

We recall that moment with our Bourbon Cream blended with signature Boone County’s Eighteen 33 and rich, alabaster cream. Pour it over ice, ice cream, or in your coffee. Pour it and remember"

Oh, and about that old fashioned percolator thing..... It ain't just fer coffee ya know.  It makes GREAT tea, at least by my standards.

I buy big bags of loose tea on Amazon for decent $, and put it in the percolator by the handful.  About 6 tablespoons to the pot full.  Because the thing sends the water through the grind basket multiple times over 15 minutes or so, it makes a rich and strong tea.  Just the way I like it.

For iced tea, one load of leaves will brew three or four pot-fulls of tea, and it makes perfect brew for the fridge.  I add a scant spoon of sugar to a half gallon, and a fresh picked sprig of mint.   Heavenly stuff on a hut summer day.

No comments: