Thursday, July 22, 2010

Funk demystified


.
Yup, I have figured out why I have been in a funk lately. Listless, unhappy, and no passion at all.

Whats been missing is.... accomplishment. Getting things done. Good things, useful things, helpful things, needful things.....

Yesterday I went to the gym for some cardio work, did grocery shopping, cleaned a few places in the house, made two new pieces of jewelry, and, and....... I did things. At the end of the day I was much, much happier so I stopped to analyze why.

I realize now that I am addicted to getting things done. During the school year, each days accomplishments are far too numerous to mention. A thousand little deeds performed, and each enough to make a change in someones life. Here it is, Summer and my time is my own.... and I wasn't getting enough 'done'.

My Id does not recognize a day spent reading novels as 'getting things done', and proceeded to let me know in it's own special little way.

This morning, a to-do list that's doable, but a push. Just the way I like it. By the end of the day I will be able to look back and SEE what I've gotten done... so Id can just shut up and take a nap.


2 comments:

James A. Zachary Jr. said...

"My Id does not recognize a day spent reading novels as 'getting things done', and proceeded to let me know in it's own special little way."

Man, it is quite possible that you are far from retirement ready ;)

Seriously, I do know what you mean; getting things done (with some things having a taste of passion and urgency)is an essential spice.

Lissa said...

I'm the same way. Unfortunately, my lazy side doesn't like to listen to my Id. It's a serious character conflict each and every damned day.