Friday, November 12, 2010

What he said, and what he meant......

The real article is here, with the President's quotes. 

IMHO, here is what he meant:


Seoul, South Korea (CNN) -- President Obama declared Friday that his "No. 1 priority" is preserving power for his party, and sharply denied comments by his senior adviser David Axelrod suggest that his administration is about to cave in to Republicans who want to stop tax increases on small business and working families.
"That is the wrong interpretation because I haven't had a conversation with Democratic and Republican leaders, I haven't told them what I want them to do yet" Obama said of a Huffington Post article suggesting that in advance of negotiations with lawmakers next week, the White House has calculated that not raising taxes on the rich is the only way to get the middle class cuts extended too.
"Here's the right interpretation -- I want to make sure taxes don't go up for the people who vote for me, if they pay taxes at all, starting on January 1," Obama said at a news conference at the conclusion of the G-20 Summit in South Korea. "That is my No. 1 priority for those trained voters and for our party. I also believe that it would be fiscally irresponsible for us to permanently allow wealthier people to spend their money as they wish.  Anyone making over $50k a year, we want our cut so we can spread it around a bit, grease some palms and such"
"I think that would be a mistake, particularly when we've got our Republican friends saying that their No. 1 priority is making sure that we are dealing with our debt and our deficit. Sure, debt is important, but keeping us in power is more important." he said.
  Obama would not tip his hand on the discussions coming when Congress returns to work for a lame-duck session next week.
"I'm not going to negotiate here in Seoul while my family is enjoying a wildly expensive vacation, my job is to pontificate back in Washington to Democratic and Republican leaders," he said.

And that is what he meant......

Also, please note that I had to correct syntax and typos in the CNN article before mangling it to suit myself.  What DO they teach in journolist college these days?

 

1 comment:

Wuulf said...

And you didn't even mention the part where he congratulated the morons responsible for coming up with the robber baron plan to end Social Security. I swear, I want to see him live out in general public, with no special privileges, after he gets booted out of office. By all means, give him a guard or two so that he can live a long, healthy, stress filled life in th reality that he seems to think is a game right now, but make him get an honest job, and see how he likes all the great change he has inflicted upon us then.