Friday, March 9, 2012

Looks like a busy weekend ahead....

.
The phone rang yesterday. A call from the gun club I belong to....

"We had a cancellation, so there's a table free for the show. Want it?"

Me: "Hell yes I want it!"

You see, my local club runs a gun show twice a year as a fund raiser. Even if it was just members, that would be 1700 people showing up, but it gets far, far more people than that. The cool thing about this show are the venders. A fair number are just club members, and shooting enthusiasts... not regular gun show dealers. You never know what is going to show up, and bargains can be had.

Starting tonight night, I are one of them. I'll be setting up this evening, and then spending all day Saturday and Sunday manning my tiny little one table gun show kingdom. That means dancing fast last night and tonight to get everything together. Table cover, display rack, a dozen long guns I wouldn't mind turning into cash, some crates of reloading gear and supplies, stray ammunition, a little of this, some of that...

To keep myself amused and awake during the slow times, I'll have along this book I just reviewed over on Carteach0: Hatcher's Notebook, Revised Edition (Classic Gun Books Series)

If that should overwhelm me, I'll turn to another book which will be my next review: Mauser Military Rifles of the World

Gun shows are curious affairs, especially for the dealers. One can go from excitement to boredom in moments, see some amazing things... and some amazing people. For a dealer who's a true enthusiast, it can be frustrating. One often can't leave the table for hours at a time, yet there is an entire gun show only a few steps away!

I haven't taken a table at the show in several years, and haven't done it professionally in almost twenty years. I'm not sure it's a life I would enjoy now, as much as I did then.... but once in a while, I enjoy tasting that fruit again.



4 comments:

Old NFO said...

I might drop by... :-)

Carteach0 said...

Tis a small show, just the two rooms of the club building. Now that I set up and have seen the place with empty tables, I'm guessing maybe sixty tables. That said, I will be upstairs in the 'nice' room, which has windows! Hurray... Daylight!

Old NFO said...

Didn't make it today, trying to find a .22 for next weekend... Will try for tomorrow.

Carteach0 said...

NFO, this is a fun *little* local club show. I go every year, and take a table every few years... but it's my club and I live close. I might not drive across the county for it... and certainly not across a few states. That said, have at it!

Now, what kind of .22 and for what use? There were a few decent things there today, but most of the bargains flew out this morning. It was BUSY till noon or so.