Monday, July 1, 2013

Bull headed....


It took mixing two bags of mud, and slinging it fast, but the last of the stone work got done JUST in time to tarp it as the rain began falling.  While I finished it up, I built in two stone covered air channels to feed air to the base of the fire pit.  With luck that will serve to keep the fire hot and clean.

I'd like to line it with fire clay, as I know the concrete and mortar mix really won't take the heat.  The thing is.... I just can't find any in this area yet.  I'm reduced to emailing friends, asking if they know where I can dig some clay of my own near here.

One way or another, it gets fired by weeks end.


4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Nicely done sir!

Carteach said...

Thank you Sir! Perhaps one day I may have the honor of grilling you a steak on it.

jon spencer said...

I have used something like this (cannot remember the brand) to patch and replace firebrick in both wood fired heaters and in a large oil fired incinerator.
A couple of small boilers too.
When patching, I tapped it in with a soft mallet instead of the air hammer that was called for.
Both the hammering and the refactory worked.
It is easy to install where the surface is rough and very uneven, just pound it to match the existing surface. It is something like heavy clay.
Once installed I do not know how it would react to exposure to rain and snow.
But once it has been fired it turns to near rock hard.

http://refwest.com/plastech50p55std.aspx

bygdawg1996 said...

I believe you might be able to use HC Muddox "Mortar clay" which is available at Home Depot or Lowes in powder bag form. I read about it on a Forno Bravo brick oven site.
Looking forward to finished pictures.

Well Done Sir!