Monday, July 1, 2013
It took mixing two bags of mud, and slinging it fast, but the last of the stone work got done JUST in time to tarp it as the rain began falling. While I finished it up, I built in two stone covered air channels to feed air to the base of the fire pit. With luck that will serve to keep the fire hot and clean.
I'd like to line it with fire clay, as I know the concrete and mortar mix really won't take the heat. The thing is.... I just can't find any in this area yet. I'm reduced to emailing friends, asking if they know where I can dig some clay of my own near here.
One way or another, it gets fired by weeks end.