With the recent acquisition of a new-to-me elderly Jeepish looking thing, comes the 'Move all your crap from one vehicle to another' drill. This usually results in my having an extra box of stuff in the house again, all too useful to let go, but not useful enough to shove in the new vehicle.
Anywho..... with this jeep's configuration, I don't have an enclosed trunk anymore. I have a cargo space behind the back seat. Into this area I'll be putting a locking bin... or two. Plastic thingses with latched lids, big enough to hold stuff but not so big I can't wing them up on the roof rack myself if I need the cargo space.
Now.... what should I be carrying in these bins?
The first aid kit I built goes without saying. Also included will be spare clothes appropriate to the season, including a work uniform. What else? So far, looking at my standard vehicle load out and some other thoughts, here is what I have in mind:
- Med kit
- Spare clothes (usual set, plus gloves and warm hat)
- Blanket (s)
- LED lantern, LED flashlight
- Road flares, reflectors, reflective vest
- Snack food (meal bars, etc)
- Bottled water.... usually a case riding with me anyway.
- Extra knives, and a compact saw.
- Fire extinguisher (I have used one on the road far too many times)
- A tool kit (After all, I am a mechanic-ish person)
- Spare ammo for the usual suspects.
- A shoulder bag in case hoofing it becomes necessary.
- Disposable ponchos (one orange, one can't-see-me camo).
- Small hydraulic jack
- Tie downs and ratchet straps.
- Tow strap.
Add to the above all the useful 'stuff' that ends up in the glove box, console, etc. Knives, lighters, spare cell batteries, cell charger, magazines, yada yada blah blah.
What am I forgetting?