Friday, July 17, 2026

Next up on the cast iron conversion. (Updated!)

The Griswold fry skillet got one more polish, and a wash and oil coat.  It's out on the gas grill as I type this.  Next up on the agenda, a Lodge griddle.

Her loveliness gave me this some years back.  She did this because she loves me, and wants to make me smile.  She also did this because she's a hooker for pancakes.

I never got this one right. It's rough. I never got it seasoned right despite multiple attempts.  Mostly it just hangs on the pantry rack, used occasionally for grilled cheese maybe.

Today, after putting the skillet on the grill, I loaded the 80-grit and started on this thing.

Hory Cow Batman, this little beastie is rougher than my ex-wifes personality.  No wonder I made no progress trying to make it work.  This does not speak well for Lodges quality control.

After a couple 80-grit discs used up, I considered getting out the big gun.  My angle grinder.  For SURE that will remove material, and no doubt.  Still on the fence with that one.  The last thing I want is to install a big power tool gash on the surface.  No coming back from that.


(Update)


Here are the two pieces after polishing and three rounds of seasoning on the grill.  I like where this is heading, but not quite there yet.  The surface is smooth and slick, but the seasoning is light and not entirely uniform. I'm thinking a light scrub, and then back to seasoning for at least 3 or 4 more rounds.

3 comments:

Pigpen51 said...

I bought the same kit. I have not had a chance to work on my large fry pan but I did a 6" one and it came out fantastic.

Carteach said...

I have high hopes on the skillet. I'll season 3x before I judge it. On the griddle, I caved and used my angle grinder. Found the disc heavily worn, so it seems pretty gentle for a grinder. I still could not get 'smooth'. I think anything short of an end mill will not fix this Lodge griddle. I still polished it and am doing a season right now.

FredLewers said...

Somebody probably let it sit dirty or wet or both for an extended period of time and it pitted it. It looks like an old cast iron manifold where acidic coolant pitted and eroded it. Unfortunately, you ain't fixing that with RTV silicone.