Thursday, April 14, 2011

Plonk......

I think there must be some sort of psychological/emotional/physical wall that both students and teachers hit about eight weeks before school ends. I see it in the students every year, and now I have grown honest enough to see it within myself.

I love what I do..... but that cup is astoundingly full right now, and slopping over the edges.

I love what I do..... but getting my butt out the door is getting harder each morning.

I'm torn.... There are enough sick days acrued over the last decade that I could take off several months and not miss a paycheck, and that calls to me like a beautiful siren on a stormy evening. On the other hand..... duty. I can't leave my kids over the most important time of the year, and I could never leave my partner swinging in the wind like that.

Sabbaticals are coming into focus now, and I begin to understand. They exist so experienced instructors won't simply quit, taking all their knowledge and experience with them.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Yep, and they do give one a chance to recharge...