I may be selling Scooter Da VunderVagon.... otherwise known as my 1994 VW golf. With this in mind, one of my chores today was cleaning that thing out.
Holy Crap Batman! TWO spare jackets, TWO spare hats, NINE road flares, a TOW strap for crisakes, SIX ratchet straps, THREE pocket knives, THREE sources of fire, TWO spare cell phone chargers, at least $35 in change and cash, TWO flashlights, TWO bags of targets, TWO rolls of paper towels, FIVE text books, ONE compass (slacker), ONE pair of binoculars, ONE big camera tripod, and half a liqueur box of assorted stuff.
And..... the 'Oh Crap' bag I assembled about three years ago when I bought the car. It's been in there ever since. It (and all the above) was living under the cargo cover behind the back seat.
This bag is a cousin to the 'Bug Out Bag' (BOB) of some fame, but is the vehicle version. It's intent was to supply needs for a short term emergency, and assist in getting home. Opening this thing is a time capsule into what I was thinking three years ago.
What was in my 'Oh Crap bag? Well..... all this was in a laptop computer briefcase bag to look nondescript and normal for a teacher to be carrying around:
- A pair of blue jeans
- A button up long sleeve blue jean shirt
- Two pair of underwear
- Three pair of socks
- A small bath towel
- A roll of toilet paper sealed in a ziplock.
- Three rolled up trash bags
- Two bandanas
- A warm stretch cap
- A shoulder strap for the bag
- An emergency field medical guide
- A flip phone and vehicle phone charger
- A 'toiletry kit' with razors, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, and mouthwash
- A first aid kit with band-aids, gauze squares, medical tape, iodine, analgesics, and scissors
- Three assorted pocket knives (one hidden)
- Two lighters, one match safe
- Two notebooks in plastic
- Two pencils, two ball points, and one large sharpy marker
- One bottle of 100% deet
- About thirty alcohol swabs and pads
- Perhaps 75 feet of paracord
- Two boxes of ammo for my at-the-time carry pistol
- Five road flares
- An LED flashlight
- Spare key for car and house
- Spare Govt issue photo ID.
- $200 in cash, small bills, and $5 in change.
The bag has been cleaned out, some things tossed, and the clothes are in the laundry. It will be reassembled this week with about 70% of the old stuff, and a few updates. For those hyperventilating over the lack of obvious weapons, please remember I am a school teacher, and self defense is strictly illegal on school grounds.
My bag was put together with a few scenarios in mind. Some emergency having me stuck at school for a day or more, or stuck out on the road someplace overnight, or somehow left broke and stranded some distance from home, or.....
Now... what is is YOUR 'Oh Crap' bag?