Saturday, March 8, 2014

It's a brave new world...



I gather one of the main reasons this shop has hired yours truly is technology they are facing these days.   That darned 'Check Engine' light is on, the vehicle won't pass inspection, Fred is cranky, and nobody there can figure out what to do about it.

After a decade of not spending my days mainlining grease and amperage (anything less than 75% of the work day spent in the shop means one is not 'A Tech'), my tools needed some attention.  When a mechanic speaks of his tools.... it typically means a truckload of gear.... and I am no different.

Yesterday I had my nose rubbed in the changes faced in my industry as I sorted, organized, cleaned, and serviced my kit.  Sure, I lubed the ratchets and made sure the wrenches are racked in order.  I also made a list of all the myriad batteries I'll need to freshen same in the various scanners, meters, and testers I own.  I also ordered up a Surface RT to use as a personal shop computer to access the repair data systems.  (The Tam has one, and pronounces it non-suckish).

Last night I also dusted off and charged my Nano oscilloscope, because lab scope.  Voltage over time my friends; Nothing in the world like it.


WHY does a man need FOUR Digital Volt Ohm Meters? Apparently I thought I had a reason at one time.  The five 12v test lights..... THAT I have no explanation for.  Three half inch breaker bars?  Obviously.... in case I break one. Two scanners and two code readers?  Um.....  never mind.  Two sets of R134a gauges?  Hey!  I LIKE AC work!  

Crap..... I gotta lotta crap.....

 


2 comments:

Nosmo King said...

When you have time......(stop laughing)....some of us would appreciate makes, models and capabilities of the electronic stuff. I know I would. Handy stuff to have, and since you've already done all the field testing on them....

Old NFO said...

One is none, two is one... :-)