Sunday, February 14, 2016

Hi. My name is Art, and I'm an idiot.


This is a Snap-On 8mm, 1/4" drive, deep, six point socket.   I just purchased it to replace a missing (presumed eaten by trolls) socket from a set I use many times daily.

It cost $21.

That makes it worth MORE than it's weight in Silver.  In fact, I could buy an ounce of silver at spot+10%, and still have enough left to buy this socket in a cheaper brand.

You see, I make good money as a tech, but I'm paid by the hour.  I can sweep floors or perform miracles, and my pay is still based on how many warm body hours the electronic system records as my presence on the job.

This means all the money I spend on tools, once I am reasonably equipped to perform my duties, is basically hard earned cash spent on shiny toys. 

Return on investment.  ROI.  

I may get a bloody bleeping tattoo of that....

1 comment:

Bryn said...

I like good tools, but how much I spend on any given tools reflects its importance to me in regular use.
For example, my 1/2inch drive socket set (purchased 30+ years ago)is a decent but not hugely expensive CrV set covering all the commonly used car & motorcycle sizes.
In the whole set, I have broken : the ratchet drive, 10mm,13mm,17mm,19mm, 1/2", 3/4" sockets. These have been replaced (with spares)with a mix of better quality items of various good brands available in the UK.
I've been lucky with the 1/4" and 3/8" drive sets, nothing has broken - but I don't use them to do a 1/2" drive job, unlike some people I've seen.....


My father-in-law was very much a "shiny, must have" type until the local thieves heard about his collection of tools and emptied his garage one night. His insurance refused the payout as the garage was detached from the house.... by four feet....