A Wagner 1891 8" skillet. Not an ancient heirloom, yet probably my favorite to use. BUT... it's rougher than a cob, and that needs attention.
Step one was removing decades of seasoning. Mostly from the cooking area, but being able to read the cast in wording again would be nice. First, a few days soaking in vinegar to get it overall clean. Then, heat vinegar in it to boiling, shut it off, and let that rest overnight.
As we see, this thing had *No Kidding* seasoning going on. Now that it's stripped down, the real roughness of this Wagner piece really shows up.
Rough casting that is. Starting today I'll devote some time to getting it smoothed out. More later!
(Update). I decided to plunge the entire skillet into a boiling vinegar bath for a few hours. Clean the whole thing. I'm here, so why not?


No comments:
Post a Comment