Monday, August 9, 2010

"My life flashed before my eyes!"

.
I have had some computer 'issues' involving Photoshop. Unstable lockups and such. As an attempt at a cure, I deleted the registry entries for the software package and dumped the catalogs. This required that I re-import the images back into a new photo catalog (after backup of course!!).

This resulted in 35,000+ image thumbnails flashing past my eyes, on the computer screen. Several years worth.... one after another, multiple per second.

It was entrancing.... like watching my life roll past at warp speed. Events, things, and most especially people..... flying past almost too fast for recognition.

It was heart wrenching, bone chilling, humorous, and.... I don't recommend doing it.


Adendum......

Oh... and I didn't manage to repair whatever is screwing up my PhotoShop, either. I got maybe ten good minutes out of it, and then it began locking up again, to the point I ended up in a Blue Screen and a crash dump.

I have gone so far as delete PhotoShop (and it's registry entries), refresh my Op system, and reload PS again. I always end up with the same issues... it loads, works a few minutes, and then freezes the whole machine in various interesting ways.

I suspect a conflict with some other software, but I have no idea what it is. At this point, I am considering a total wipe and reloading with a Windows 7 op system (I have Vista now....).

I flirted with Ubuntu on another laptop, but it went splody... bad hard drive. I never did manage to get a good photo editor to work in Ubuntu, nor get any version of Photoshop to work in a windows emulator under Ubuntu.

Yes, I know, I suck.



3 comments:

Borepatch said...

At least they imported from backup, and you're not stuck with thousands of images you can't use.

I had to jump through some hoops to get some pix back, where the only copy I was was the set on my iPhone.

Remember, backups are like carry guns: "Two is one and one is none" ...

Carteach0 said...

Borepatch,

The images may not be well organized, but they are backed up on several machines and a portable hard drive as well.

One day I will get them really organized... I swear!

In the past I have had various types of backups go TU. Discs, hard drives, tapes, CD's... all have failed me at one time or another. I agree... multiple backups are mandatory.

Carteach0 said...

Oh... and I didn't manage to repair whatever is screwing up my PhotoShop, either. I got maybe ten good minutes out of it, and then it began locking up again, to the point I ended up in a Blue Screen and a crash dump.

I have gone so far as delete PhotoShop (and it's registry entries), refresh my Op system, and reload PS again. I always end up with the same issues... it loads, works a few minutes, and then freezes the whole machine in various interesting ways.

I suspect a conflict with some other software, but I have no idea what it is. At this point, I am considering a total wipe and reloading with a Windows 7 op system (I have Vista now....).

I flirted with Ubuntu on another laptop, but it went splody... bad hard drive. I never did manage to get a good photo editor to work in Ubuntu, nor get any version of Photoshop to work in a windows emulator under Ubuntu.

Yes, I know, I suck.